Services: Architecture, Interior Design, Medical Equipment Planning, Construction Administration Market
Market Sector: Healthcare
Size: 18,000 sq. ft.
Location: Aurora, Colorado
U.S. Department of Veteran’s affairs | Pyschiatric Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program
This 20-bed Psychiatric Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program facility is designed to fully integrate with a new replacement hospital on the same site. Patient rooms and treatment areas have been separated from administrative activities. The space layout has been thoughtfully arranged in a way that allows for patient privacy, while increasing security and safety.
The focus of the interior design is one of wellness versus illness. This is supported through an abundance of daylight and calming materials and furniture. Courtyards have been incorporated into the design to provide a sanctuary for patients seeking privacy and connection with the natural environment. When completed, the facility will provide care for veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other behavioral and mental health issues.
The design incorporates best practices associated with behavioral health including:
- Design centered on evidenced-based research
- Interior and exterior therapy spaces
- Activated outdoor spaces
- Horticultural and recreation therapy spaces
- Future-proofing design to adapt to changes in healthcare delivery and demand
- Improved connectivity with community – reduces stigma of mental illness
- Main street-themed wayfinding to ‘normalize’ and deinstitutionalize setting
- Spaces for emotional self-management – empowering patients with options and decision-making
- Safely managing male and female patient populations in the same care unit
- Safety and security through high-tech and high-touch techniques
- Durable, anti-ligature, vandal-proof, tamper-resistant materials, products, fixtures and hardware
- Residential scale vs. institutional scale
- Optimizing lean operations in behavioral healthcare unit